What is Asbestos? Asbestos is a naturally-occurring silicate mineral mined around the world. This set of minerals has long fibrous crystals with significant properties such as sound absorption, resistance to heat, affordability and durability. Since asbestos is fire-resistant, it has been commonly used in combination with cement, and woven into mats for use in home kitchen sand industrial plants. Asbestos has since fallen out of favour due to the health risks associated with the inhalation of the fibres.
Is Asbestos Really that Bad? There are many urban myths concerning asbestos and what exposure can do to you. Despite the medically documented fact that exposure to asbestos fibres can cause health problems, specifically lung ailments, asbestos in good condition should be left undisturbed. Asbestos can be damaged by being hit, rubbed, handled or exposed to extreme vibration and air flow. If the asbestos-containing material is damaged in any way, then removal may be your only option. Only certified professionals should handle and remove asbestos.
Our rigorous screening programme ensures all home improvement experts in our network are fully vetted. Not only that, but their work is always rated by members of the public.
Find and compare local specialists
Oh no, Asbestos in my Home!
Should a test for asbestos come back positive, don't worry. Many older homes have asbestos containing insulation. Sometimes it is best to leave the material as is if so as not to disturb and release harmful fibres into the air. You are only at risk if the asbestos material has been damaged and is releasing fibres. If the asbestos in your home is giving you grey hairs or if you plan to refurbish your home, which might disturb the asbestos, then professional Bury St Edmunds asbestos removal might be your only option.
Asbestos Removal Bury St Edmunds Professionals! Asbestos abatement Bury St Edmunds should be your last option. Trust the professionals and leave the asbestos-containing material where it is unless otherwise directed. Not only is asbestos removal quite expensive, but it's also quite dangerous. The removal, also called abatement, is a complex procedure. Improper asbestos removal can present health problems. During a removal, you may have to temporarily relocate. Professional removal uses specialized vacuum cleaners to prevent fibres being released into the air, making your home 100% safe.
What Do I Do with Asbestos? Asbestos removal contractors will most likely handle the disposal of all asbestos containing materials. This should not cost you anything extra. Because asbestos is considered hazardous waste, it is usually taken to designated landfills, but the disposal procedure will depend on your local environmental and waste management regulations. Asbestos can also be recycled to form silicate glass. This product can be used in the manufacturing of glassware and ceramics, so if you can, be kind to the environment and recycle.
Worried about damaged asbestos material polluting your home with illness-causing fibres? We can help. Take a minute to fill in our online form
providing us with as many details as you can about your asbestos problem and we'll take it from there. With our access to a network of Bury St Edmunds professionals, we guarantee to find you the best asbestos removal Bury St Edmunds services at a price to suit your budget. Get a free, no-obligation quote from us today.
Your Bury St Edmunds asbestos removal questions answered
- Can I perform asbestos removal myself? It is strongly suggested that you do not attempt to remove asbestos yourself. When insulation or other asbestos containing items are disturbed, the fibers become airborne and can easily be inhaled, causing catastrophic health damage. Professionals have safety procedures that are put into place to protect everyone involved.
- How long does Asbestos removal take? The length of time it takes to remove asbestos can depend on the size of the area and how much asbestos material is present. A professional should be able to assess the area and provide you with more information on the length of time it will take to remove it.
- Why is asbestos removal important? Asbestos used to be used as a fire retardant in building materials, until it was discovered that it can cause a variety of health problems. People who are exposed to it can develop lung cancer, asbestosis, and mesothelioma, a degenerative lung disease.
- How much does asbestos removal cost? This will depend on the amount of asbestos that needs to be removed. Large areas, like a garage or roof, can cost more than £2,500, where smaller areas can be safely removed for less than £1,000.
- How long does Bury St Edmunds asbestos removal normally take? That will depend on the amount of asbestos that needs to be removed. Most residential cases can be completed in a matter of three or four days.
Our Simple Abatement Form
Take a minute of your time to fill in our quote form with a few simple details about the work.
Your Obligation-Free Quotes
We'll let the asbestos abatement specialists in our network know and invite up to four to quote.